Παρασκευή, Ιουλίου 18, 2008

iPhone Apps I'm waiting for...

It's very probable that some of these apps will already be implemented by the time I finish this post, but let me give it a shot anyway...
  • Direct podcast download on the device. Why not? We already can download/buy apps and music without connecting the iPhone to a computer. Adding podcast support should be easy. Or that's what I want to believe...
  • SIP-compatible VoIP. I'm pretty sure that Gizmo5 (formerly known as Gizmo Project) will pop up really soon. Skype is good, SIP compatibility is better.
  • SSH client. Running in the background with port-forwarding support (= tunneling) would be a delight.
  • iChat. I'm pretty sure it'll never exist, but any GoogleTalk-compatible IM app will cover my needs. My secret hope is an iPhone-port of Adium. Background-running pretty pretty please with sugar on top.
  • sketch-and-mail. Not an official name :) I actually use something similar on my Treo. Draw something on a white background and send it via email. Silly, yet sometimes useful.
  • nmap. Ah, well....
  • kismet/netstumbler. Ahem... *avoiding eye contact*
  • Wireshark. Ummm.... *whistling nonchalantly*
  • Location-aware "automator". This would be great. When in location [X], do [action Y]. Example: when I'm in my house, connect to my wireless network.
  • Location-aware task manager. If in ["super market"], then remind about ["buy grocery"].
  • Router/AP software. This already exists for Symbian and Windows Mobile. The device becomes a wireless access point that connects to the Internet via 3G cellular telephony.
  • Terminal and MacPorts. These would immediately multiply the number of available apps on the iPhone by hundreds, but I don't think they're coming any time soon... :(

2 σχόλια:

georgeadams είπε...

Location-aware task manager. If in ["super market"], then remind about ["buy grocery"].
Υπάρχει ήδη. Είναι το OmniFocus.

pixie είπε...

Με πρόλαβε ο georgeadams. Όμως δε γνωρίζω αν η διαδικασία 'remind' στο OminFocus είναι αυτοματοποιημένη στο στυλ του iCal alarm.

Some more cute apps here. Periodic table, star map, MRI viewer, genetic decoder, RPN calculator, etc.